International Open Call for visual artists to participate in the curated exhibition “Everyone deems you a Statue, I hail you as a Woman” on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
The exhibition, with a physical presence, will take place in a well-known art gallery in the center of Athens in March 2024, and it will also be accessible online with the support of ARTgrID. The exhibition material will be bilingual (Greek & English), including the Commemorative catalog-book.
Master Arts Curators are Mr. Paris Kapralos and Miss Vera Katranidou.
Eligibility: Accepted artworks can include original artworks of any style. You can submit paintings, prints, photography, digital art, collages, sculptures, and video art.
Conceptual Framework: International Women’s Day, celebrated on March 8th, is recognized in more than 100 countries worldwide as an opportunity to acknowledge women’s achievements towards equality, raise awareness about related issues, and encourage further action. Despite the positive message of March 8th, gender stereotypes persist, often reducing women to simplistic representations based on generalizations. Violence against women remains a growing global epidemic, economic inequality and wage disparities persist, and women’s access and participation in all aspects of political, professional, and social life are still limited. Gender inequality in education and restricted access to sciences and technology also remain significant barriers. The title of the exhibition is inspired by a verse from Kiki Dimoula, “Everyone calls you a statue straight away, / I address you as a woman straight away” (from the poem titled “Sign of Recognition – statue of a woman with tied hands,” from the collection “A Bit of the World”), emphasizing that promoting human civilization through gender equality is not just a social demand but a fundamental parameter for the development and well-being of all.
How to Apply:
What to Submit:
1. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “WOMAN” containing the following:
– Photos of up to 2 available artworks, in separate high-resolution jpg files for each artwork. Please make sure the images are clear and of high quality. Note: The submitted works are not indicative; if selected, you can exclusively exhibit the submitted works.
– Details of the artworks, including the filename reference (e.g., A1.JPG), the artist’s full name, artwork title, materials and technique used, dimensions (in centimeters, Height x Width if it’s a hanging artwork, or Height x Width x Length if it’s a sculpture), and completion year.
– Your contact information: Name, Email, and Phone number.
For Video Art submissions, you can either send the video files through wetransfer or provide a link (Vimeo, Youtube) where the full video can be accessed.
– Any inquiries, questions, or clarifications regarding the submission process should be sent via email to the provided address and will be answered within 24 hours.
– Information about the organization of the event and the proposal, if selected, will be provided only to the chosen artists after the selection process.
– Incomplete submissions or those that do not follow the specified format will be ignored.
The submission deadline is Sunday, February 18, 2024, at 23:59.